George Emil Palade University of Medicine, Pharmacy, Science and Technology of Târgu Mureş
The Dental Medicine - English language study programme operates within the Faculty of Dental Medicine of UMFST G. E. Palade in Targu Mureş. The history of dental medical education in Mures County dates as far back as 1948. Over 70 generations of dentists, dental nurses and dental technicians, trained and dedicated to a noble profession, along with experienced teachers, with high professionalism, organizational and human skills, have built a competitive image of the faculty, recognized nationally and internationally, for excellence in training specialists.
The educational and research infrastructure, comprised of the Integrated Dental Centre, the simulation and dental imaging department, the teaching and research laboratories and many other facilities for the students, provide a modern, dynamic educational process with complex activities. During clinical activities and under the appropriate supervision of teachers, our dental students and resident doctors perform a wide range of dental procedures, exploring the entrepreneurial side of dentistry.
The didactic activities related to the first years of study and the clinical activities related to the disciplines in the medical field, take place in the didactic spaces and laboratories of the University, as well as in the public health units.
The dental specialty disciplines, which account for 2/3 of the total disciplines that the Dental Medicine student completes in the entire undergraduate cycle, take place in the Integrated Dental Medicine Center (CIMD) and in the Oro-Maxillo- Facial Surgery Clinic.
Dental Medicine offers you the opportunity to develop and fulfill yourself professionally, because it is science and art at the same time. Dental treatments, using cutting-edge techniques and advanced materials, ensure the maintenance of optimal oral health and offer patients a beautiful, natural smile with all its advantages.
To start the journey towards a successful future, we offer you 10 reasons why you want to study at the Faculty of Dental Medicine in Târgu Mureş:
- The varied educational offer, adapted to the multicultural environment and the courses in Romanian, Hungarian or English make our faculty attractive to students.
- Recognition of studies. The education and qualifications obtained after graduating from the Dental Medicine – English language study programme have international recognition and reputation. You can practice dentistry within the European Union.
- The most modern dental education base in Romania is represented by the Integrated Dental Medicine Center and the Oro-Maxillo-Facial Surgery Clinic. In the Integrated Dental Medicine Center there are modular amphitheatres, seminar rooms, specialty clinics equipped with A-dec dental units, the patient triage compartment, a dental imaging compartment equipped with Cone Beam CT, a dental technique laboratory and a the applied simulation department in dentistry.
- Scientific research. The research infrastructure of the University and the activity within the Student Scientific Circles allow students to develop the skills to carry out experimental and/or clinical studies, to disseminate their results by making presentations at scientific events and by writing undergraduate theses.
- Clinical practice and Erasmus + mobilities. At the end of each year of studies, the summer practice can be carried out in our faculty, offices or dental clinics in the country or abroad, often in the country of origin of the students or the place where they want to work after completing their studies. Erasmus placement mobilities are 2-month summer internships for students, and represent the most successful Erasmus mobilities for dental students.
- Cultural diversity and international friendships. The lower tuition fee, the high accessibility and the courses in English, determine more and more international students to enroll in our faculty. You will make friends from all corners of the world. Living in a diverse environment, you communicate and adapt easily to unfamiliar situations.
- Student life. Social and cultural activity is very well represented at the level of student organizations in our faculty. Students carry out extensive projects and volunteer campaigns regarding oral prophylaxis in schools and kindergartens, hold the Guinness Book 2015 record for the largest oral hygiene lesson in the world, organize the annual residency exam simulation, the OSMDentist Days scientific symposium and the Unifest Festival.
The University Library offers an extremely rich collection of specialized books and treatises, access to the most up-to-date electronic information and documentation resources (databases / fulltext platforms).
The university campus is modern, with special sports facilities. Students benefit from gyms, football, tennis and volleyball courts equipped with locker rooms, fitness rooms, spa center with a swimming pool. The university canteen is also located on the campus.
The admission procedure covers the following stages:
Other Programmes in English offered by George Emil Palade University of Medicine, Pharmacy, Science and Technology of Târgu Mureş
About George Emil Palade University of Medicine, Pharmacy, Science, and Technology of Targu Mureş
- assessment of the personal statement submitted.
- assessment of the applicant’s former activities prior to the submission of the application (high school grades, extracurricular activities). Only the grades in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science, obtained during High School will be taken into consideration, according to the grid.
- A Skype interview for each applicant, which will be scheduled and announced in time. The purpose of the interview is the evaluation of the compatibility with the medical profession and the English Proficiency.
For almost eight decades, George Emil Palade University of Medicine, Pharmacy, Science, and Technology of Targu Mures, currently a landmark of national and international education and research institution, with study programs in Romanian, Hungarian and English, is a dynamic, powerful and fast developing university whose core values are professionalism, performance, and prestige.
The infrastructure together with the Center for Simulation and Practical Skills, Advanced Medical and Pharmaceutical Research Center, National Center for Applied Virtual Reality in Medicine UniX, Integrated Dental Centre, Integrated Pharmaceutical Center, along with experienced teaching staff from diverse areas in science and technology, and the remarkable sports facilities provide a modern educational process with complex activities. Moreover, our students enjoy the full support to develop their own scientific, multicultural, artistic and sports projects. Openness for international collaborations is a top priority.
The University constantly encourages and offers different opportunities for national and international mobility for students within the Erasmus+ Program. Nationally, this is the most successful one, with our university ranking first among the medicine and pharmacy universities in the country in terms of attracted funds with more than 1000 outgoing Erasmus students annually and 154 international cooperation agreements with European and international universities.
The number of international students has been continuously growing every year and this is primarily due to the positive feedback from the graduates, therefore, applicants choosing to study at our university come from all over the world. Internationalization is one of the prime concerns by which the University understood to capitalize on its strengths and to become a comprehensive European university.
The medical branch in Hamburg, Germany, testifies to its bold strategic vision in keeping with its major tenets of innovation and internationalization. Capitalizing on its strengths, the university has also accelerated its economic impact and its civic engagement.
The number of international students applying to English study programs George Emil Palade University of Medicine, Pharmacy, Science, and Technology of Târgu Mureş has been continuously increasing every year and this is primarily due to the positive feedback from the University graduates, therefore, applicants choosing to study at our university come from all over the world: Germany, Italy, Hungary, Austria, Sweden, Finland, Norway, USA, Israel, India, South America as well as African countries.
Since 2016, an extensive project of curricular reform has been implemented in George Emil Palade University of Medicine, Pharmacy, Science, and Technology of Târgu Mureş, its main target being a student-centered education and maximum development of the students’ and graduates’ practical and communication skills. This curricular reform strategy has three major components: adapting the curriculum to current standards of medical education, a student-centered teaching system, and students’ unitary assessment within the same undergraduate program.
In partnership with the IBM Corporate Service Corps, UMFST Târgu Mureş has designed an innovative concept entitled the “Smart University”, which aims to develop an integrated plan for the modernization of university IT systems through the development of the existing e-UMFST platform as well as identification and implementation of new artificial intelligence technologies such as Cognitive Computing and Internet of Things associated with Cloud Computing, Digital Storage, Paperless Office, and Software as a Service.
This concept targets optimization of academic management, students’ teaching and assessment strategies as well as access to the virtual world, which represents the future of scientific and academic resources of our university.
Through history, tradition, professionalism, performance, and prestige manifested over the decades, ”George Emil Palade” University of Medicine, Pharmacy, Science, and Technology of Târgu Mureş is different and unique, which is why the motto of institutional development it has assumed and which best represents it is: E Pluribus Unum – One out of many!