Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
HECTOR School of Engineering & Management
M.Sc. in Financial Engineering
Machine learning is changing nearly all aspects of our lives. Today algorithms execute tasks that until recently only human experts were able to perform. Especially in the financial industry, these developments led to a disruptive change in business models and technology (FinTech and InsurTech) and thus to dramatically transformed risk and investment processes. These new challenges come along with new job opportunities that require a completely new set of skills. Nowadays thorough data science, engineering and programming skills are essential to nearly every task in the risk and investment industry.
In order to prepare you for such tasks, our Master’s program in Financial Engineering offers you a unique combination of finance theory, engineering methods, management tools, mathematical and computational techniques – blended with new developments from the field of artificial intelligence and Big Data. Our master’s program exposes you to these techniques in a practical way, with a focus on hands on applications implemented in the Python programming language.
The Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) provides an ideal interdisciplinary environment with its long tradition of interdisciplinary programs. Building on the long-established reputation for excellence in business engineering, the two-part program combines in-depth knowledge and understanding of fundamental concepts in business, finance, management, and technology.
Due to the pace of financial innovations, the need for highly qualified people trained in the area of financial engineering and technology is increasing. Whether you aim to contribute to a financial start-up or an innovation lab of a well-established firm, or whether you see yourself progressing in a more classical track in treasury, banking, finance, insurance, venture capital or consulting, the mix of finance, engineering, technology, and programming prepares you for the challenge.
Additionally, the Financial Engineering Program shares five management modules with the other master programs. This fosters cross industry networking and provides the participants with cutting-edge knowledge in technology-driven innovation, strategy, data-driven marketing, international multi-project management, as well as international law, human resource management, people analytics, and different leadership approaches.
Other courses offered by Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
M.Sc. in Energy Engineering and Management
M.Sc. in Information System Engineering and Management
M.Sc. in Management of Product Development
M.Sc. in Mobility Systems Engineering and Management
M.Sc. in Production and Operations Management
About HECTOR School of Engineering & Management
- First academic degree: Bachelor, Master, Diploma, etc. in a relevant subject such as Engineering, Natural Sciences, Information Science, or Economics. In exceptional cases, other degrees may be accepted.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of professional experience in the specific field of the program
- English language proficiency is required, e.g. English as a native speaker or test certificate (e.g. TOEFL score of at least 570 PBT; 230 CBT; 90 iBT or IELTs at least 6,5 points) or appropriate proof of C1 level.
The HECTOR School is the Technology Business School of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT). Named after Dr. Hans-Werner Hector, one of the co-founders of SAP AG, HECTOR School aims to provide professionals with state-of-the-art technological expertise and management know-how within part-time education programs.
The HECTOR School fosters lifelong learning within industry. Participants are supported in their career development with executive master degree programs, certificate courses, and customized partner programs. The benefits of the executive master programs are numerous for participants as well as for the companies they work for:
- Unique Holistic Approach: A combination of technology expertise and management know-how.
- State-of-the-Art Knowledge: Direct transfer from the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) research.
- Part-Time Structure: Allows participants to continue with their demanding careers whilst acquiring new skills.
- Master Thesis to set up Innovation Projects: Companies gain outstanding added value through the consultation of such projects by professors from KIT.
- Excellent Networking Opportunities: Professional networking is fostered across industries and on an international scale.
Our directors enrich HECTOR School with strong business experience combined with academic competence. Industry backings provide opportunities to generate ideas with substantial practical impact, which also feed insights into creative teaching approaches.
Professors from the KIT, internationally recognized faculty members from out partner institutions as well as business experts from leading companies form the faculty of HECTOR School.