Saint Petersburg State University
Master’s Degree Program ‘Studies in European Societies’ (SES)
St. Petersburg State University in cooperation with Bielefeld University, supported by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the Center for German and European Studies presents the Master’s degree program “Studies in European Societies“ (MA SES). MA SES was launched at the Faculty of Sociology of St. Petersburg State University in 2004. More than 110 students have already graduated from the program.
MA SES provides:
- Possibility to conduct multidisciplinary comparative studies to discover the Russian-European space
- Welcoming international atmosphere in a group blending European, Russian and Asian students and a team of international teachers
- Numerous international opportunities: research mobility, internships, schools and workshops
- Highly qualified lecturers from St. Petersburg State University, Bielefeld University, University of Magdeburg and other European higher schools
- Possibility to learn more about Russian culture in the heart of St. Petersburg — the second largest and the most European of Russian cities
- Many further career options in Russia and internationally
Our interdisciplinary program is particularly attractive for those who are interested in the current development of the European countries, including the Europeanization of the politics, European market system transformation, changes in the social structures of the European states, cultural differentiation in Europe, etc.
Our students perform comparative research in various European regions and get successfully involved in the international professional academic networks.
The MA SES courses are fully taught in English. The program requires full-time attendance and lasts for two years. The curriculum includes more than 30 compulsory and elective courses devoted to the political, economic, social and cultural life of the European countries, also covering modern sociological theories, quantitative and qualitative research methodology and the basis of effective professional communication.
- The diploma of St. Petersburg State University complemented by an international certificate from Bielefeld University
- European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS)
- Winter school in Bielefeld and other locations in Germany for all first-years
- Internships in leading Russian and European research centres, international organizations and enterprises
Policy Studies, Brussels; European Public Law Center, Athens; Chamber of Commerce, Gent; Norwegian Institute of International Affairs, Oslo; Center for Democracy, Zurich; Committees for Cultural Affairs and External Relations, St. Petersburg City Administration; Goethe Institute, St. Petersburg; Russian-Baltic Media Center, St. Petersburg; universities of Bremen, Jena, Paris and more
About Saint Petersburg State University
- The chance to gain first-hand knowledge of Russia and Russian culture
- Staying in St. Petersburg—the second biggest and the most European of all Russian cities
- Unique insider-outsider perspective on European societies provided within MA SES in Russia
- Employment in international administrations, NGOs and businesses in Russia and around the globe.
Founded in 1724 by Peter the Great, Saint Petersburg University was to become the first institution of higher education in Russia.
SPbU is a leading Russian university with teaching and research excellence ranked among the world’s top universities, opened to cooperation with the international research and academic community. SPbU scientists work in almost all fields of knowledge, providing expertise and consultation in close collaboration with Russian and international partners. Many outstanding scholars have been a part of the SPbU community, including nine Nobel Prize winners.
Among University alumni are the President of the Russian Federation Vladimir Putin, Prime-Minister Dmitry Medvedev, Director of the Hermitage Mikhail Piotrovskiy, President of the Russian Academy of Education Liudmila Verbitskaya, mathematicians Grigoriy Perelman and Sergey Smirnov as well as many others.