Why choose a career in real estate and construction?
If you’re looking for a career that offers variety and the opportunity to meet a wide range of people, the real estate or construction industries may be for you. These sectors allow you to work closely with a number of industry professionals with a wide range of skills and from a variety of backgrounds.
Both provide exciting and fast-paced environments where no two projects are the same. There is plenty of scope for development, career progression and promotion, and hard work is often recognised and rewarded. Transferrable skills also provide opportunities to move into other fields and roles, while internationally recognised skills and qualifications provide opportunities to travel and work abroad.
Real estate and construction offer a huge range of career options, whatever your personal area of interest and experience. Options include:
Appraisal, agency and building management
Building construction and surveying
- Valuing for purchase, sale, letting, investment, mortgage, rating, insurance, compensation or taxation
- Negotiating for sale, purchase, leasing or auction
- Managing and maintaining residential, commercial and industrial property
- Restoring and conserving old buildings or designing and constructing new ones
- Managing repairs and maintenance, building pathology and remedial action
- Advising on building law, regulations and control, health and safety legislation (hazardous materials) and environmental matters
Estate and property management
- Managing construction sites or carrying out site engineering, measuring and evaluating
- Estimating the overall cost of carrying out building projects and buying materials according to programme
- Planning prior to contract so work is carried out in the most efficient and economical way
Finance, investment and development
- Auctioneering, rating, taxation, property investment, portfolio management and rent reviews
- Valuing for mortgages, rates, rents and inheritance tax
- Facilities management, covering tangible assets, support services and people
- Advising on development, land purchase or compensation for compulsory purchase
- Financial aspects of real estate, including the sale, purchase and portfolio management of investment property and the financing of real estate projects
- Working with and understanding the roles of bankers, accountants, developers and major institutional investors in real estate
Why distance learning?
- All aspects of urban and rural planning
- Advising on economics, amenities, conservation and urban renewal schemes
- Working with planners to implement plans within a given timescale and budget
Quantity surveying and cost management
- Traditional quantity surveying, cost consultancy, project management, contractor surveying and facilities management
- Preparing feasibility estimates, contract documents and procurement strategies
- Cost planning and control, from design to completion, and whole life costing
- Valuation, sale and management of rural property; sale by auction of live and dead stock; forestry; farm management; and rural planning
- Identifying client objectives and translating them into a design brief while ensuring integration, monitoring and control of project contributors
Distance learning allows you to study where you wish and in your own time – ideal for busy professionals. Distance learning also allows you to:
- Gain a prestigious award
- Improve career prospects and work performance
- Attain membership of professional bodies
- Earn while you learn and offset fees while working
- Develop practical skills and build on workplace experience
- Obtain insights into the real estate industry in an international context
- Study via an innovative, online learning community
- Balance study with other commitments
Profile: Paul Whittle
Courses studied: Diploma in Surveying Practice; BSc(Hons) in Construction Management
Back in 2004 I was gaining a great deal of experience from my work and progressing well within the company, but I felt that I lacked the formal qualifications that were relevant to my career aspirations. Having looked at a number of institutions, CEM stood out – most of its courses were accredited by either CIOB and/or RICS and I soon realised that the College has a high standing within the industry, both in the UK and abroad.
Having learnt a great deal from the diploma, and gained in confidence, I realised that I wanted to continue studying to further enhance my career. On successful completion of the diploma I decided to enroll on to the BSc in Construction Management.
I saw the degree as the perfect stepping stone for chartered membership. It allowed me to develop my own management, financial and economic skills, gave me the confidence to communicate with chartered consultants on their level and imparted a large amount of knowledge about the worldwide construction industry.
The main benefit is that the knowledge gained can be directly applied to your job to deal with many everyday situations. It has certainly allowed me to become more commercially aware and my career has progressed in tandem with my studies.
My employer has been a constant support both financially and with regard to the face-to-face sessions. The company could see that I was growing as a construction professional and bringing more knowledge to the business. From CEM there is excellent communication from both tutors and students exchanging ideas through the virtual learning environment, which ensures that you don't ever feel isolated.
I have subsequently enrolled on to the RICS PGDip in Project Management, with a longer-term aim to progress on to the MBA in Real Estate and Construction Management to enhance my project management skills still further. I would advise anyone who is determined to succeed at the highest level in the industry to study with CEM as you will be learning from the best.
The College of Estate Management is the leading provider of supported distance learning for real estate and construction professionals. We have been playing a key role in the property world for over 90 years. The College offers diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate courses in almost every conceivable aspect of real estate and construction.
For more information and our full list of courses, contact our Enquiries team:
Telephone: +44 (0) 118 921 4696