Ghent University, Belgium (Coordinator)
Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway
Wageningen University, Netherlands
Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona and Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
International Master of Science in Health Management in Aquaculture (AquaH)
Aquaculture, the controlled production of aquatic (food) organisms, plays a crucial role in relieving the growing need for health, tasty and sustainably produced food. For decades, aquaculture sector is the fastest growing food production system globally and is the only option to reduce the pressure on levelling or declining wild fisheries.
The ever-continuing intensification in aquaculture systems, along with an increased production scale has, however, inevitably resulted in the increased occurrence of viral, bacterial or stress-related disease outbreaks. This calls for innovative solutions to be developed and implemented by appropriately trained experts. In order to respond to the need for an expert training in aquaculture health management, the AquaH consortium combines the expertise of the 4 European excellency centers in the field:
- Ghent University (UGent – coordinator), Belgium
- the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Norway
- Wageningen University - Aquaculture & Fisheries Group (WU), Netherlands
- Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona (UAB) and Universitat de Barcelona (UB), Spain
Each partner has a long standing and strong reputation in aquaculture research, with a growing focus on health and disease management.
Participants that successfully complete the programme will be able to understand and control the interaction between aquaculture species and their environment, in order to produce robust and healthy animals with attention for epidemiologic, environmental and welfare regulations.
The programme offers 3 distinct learning lines, each addressing aquaculture health issues on a different level:
- @ NTNU: relationship between the ecosystem and health
- @ WU: preventing disease and maintaining adequate health, whilst minimising the impact on the environment
- @ UAB/UB: the relationship between animal physiology and health
- Hold a Bachelor's degree of 180ECTS (is equivalent to 3y) from a university or recognized equivalent
- Demonstrate through their transcripts or records to have successfully acquired:
- Basic science training in at least 5 out of 7 of the following fields: (i) Mathematics; (ii) Physics; (iii) Chemistry; (iv) Biochemistry; (v) Biology; (vi) Microbiology; (vii) Engineering
- Statistics level 1 and 2
Some academic or professional background in aquaculture is highly recommended.
The applicant must be proficient in English. The English language proficiency can be met by providing a certificate (not older than 5 years) of one of the following tests:
- TOEFL IBT 80
- ACADEMIC IELTS 6,5 overall score with a min. of 6 for writing and 6 for speaking
- CEFR B2 Issued by a European university language centre
- ESOL CAMBRIDGE English CAE (Advanced)
TOEFL/IELTS predictive tests and TOEIC will not be accepted
Language of instruction is not accepted anymore, except for:
About the Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent University
- a. applicants who have a diploma (Secondary Education, Academic Bachelor Degree, Master Degree) awarded by a recognised institution in the Flemish Community
- b. applicants who are nationals from or have obtained a bachelor and/or master degree in a higher education institute with English as mode of instruction in USA, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland or Canada, and in the latter case a certificate that the mode of instruction was English has to be submitted.
The faculty of Bioscience Engineering is one of the 11 faculties of Ghent University.
The faculty is strongly dedicated to international education
, welcoming an average of 350 international students from 100 different nationalities each academic year, on a total amount of almost 3000 students. The focal research topic of the faculty is the living matter
in all its diversity.
The research domains are clustered around Natural Capital, Sustainable Primary Production, Food and Health, Green Chemistry, Bio-Economy, Clean Environmental Technology, Biotechnology and Data-Analysis. Our research excellence is the basis of top-quality education and high international rankings
The faculty of Bioscience Engineering of UGent is top 12-ranked for Agricultural Sciences (QS Ranking, NTU Ranking, Shangai Ranking) and positioned 51 for Life Sciences according to the Times Higher Education Ranking.
Alumni of our international master programmes get a broad range of career options as entrepreneurs, policy makers and research experts.
The faculty is located in the city of Ghent
: a charming, medieval, multi-cultural city with 300.000 inhabitants and home to 77.000 students. 45,000 of those are students of Ghent University, of which our faculty is part.
The city centre of Ghent is a low emission zone with car-free parts and Ghent is a worldwide forerunner in the promotion of sustainable food.
Other courses offered by Ghent University
Master of Science in Aquaculture
Master of Science in Environmental Science and Technology
Master of Science in Nutrition and Rural Development
Master of Science in Physical Land Resources for Sustainable Land Management
Master of Science in Rural Development
Master of Science in Soils and Global Change
Master of Science in Sustainable and Innovative Natural Resource Management