Sofia University "St. Kliment Ohridski"
M.Sc. Design for Digital Learning
Sofia University "St. Kliment Ohridski", Faculty of Pedagogy launched a new master degree programme in Design for Digital Learning. This program has been developed in consultation and partnership with colleagues from the Faculty of Computer Science, Multimedia and Telecommunication Department, Universitat Oberta De Cataluya (UOC), National Institute for Digital Learning, Dublin City University (DCU) and H2Learning, Ireland. It addresses the topic of design for digital learning. We define this term in an inclusive way as any type of learning that is accompanied by effective use of technology (and so covers a wide range of practices including online learning, and eLearning, as well as their integration with face-to-face learning).
The programme provides students with advanced knowledge in learning design approaches, learning theories, and in the development of skills and competencies to use this theory with contemporary technologies to design digital learning. The programme explores these design approaches, learning theories, and methods for digital learning with a special attention to the specifics of the educational context.
As a result of participation in this programme, students will better understand and more effectively utilize technology, to design both digital products (web-based courses and e-learning resources) and digital learning and assessment activities. Using a variety of digital tools, students will build their own learning designs and theoretically justify the choice of design approaches and decisions, with an emphasis on the appropriate use of technologies to support digital learning in different contexts. Given the diverse career tracks in learning design, this programme offers students the flexibility to customize their course of study based on their individual goals and interests.
Alongside their work on learning design, students will also develop higher order skills in analysis, critical awareness of issues in the field, the ability to solve complex problems, to think rigorously and independently, and they will also obtain specialized knowledge, some of which is at the forefront of knowledge in the field of digital learning design and the use educational technologies, as the basis for original thinking and/or research.
As a result of their training in this program, students will acquire the following key knowledge, skills and competencies:
- Ability to apply learning theories in design and development of quality e-learning experiences
- Knowledge of learning design theories, models and principles and ability to apply appropriate, context-sensitive pedagogic design to develop innovative, engaging and successful digital learning courses and resources and to assess online students’ progress and learning results
- Identify and apply current research, theory and learning analytics to optimize the digital learning experiences
- Ability to identify customer/user requirements and to conduct needs’ analysis of different target groups and organisations
- Ability to apply accessibility and usability standards of media and technologies in selection, evaluation and design of digital learning activities and resources
- Ability to conduct research on the impact of course and module (re)design on student’s learning and to analyse the results with a view to further redesign
- Ability to use VLE(s) and virtual classrooms for learning design (e.g., Blackboard; Moodle),
- Ability of incorporating visual, audio, video, and animation elements in the development of eLearning resources aiming at enhancement of learner experience
- Ability to identify and resolve legal and ethical implications of e-learning design
- Knowledge of eLearning quality standards and ability to apply them in the learning design products (courses, learning activities and resources)
- Ability to work with diverse stakeholders (clients, teachers, students, etc.) in a team environment, communicate effectively using visual, oral, and written formats, assist and support other teachers and trainers to design or re-design effective, flexible, interactive and student-centered digital learning courses
- Ability to disseminate and transfer understanding of research and practice of digital learning design into schools and faculties across the institution and externally
- Ability to manage teams and projects in the context of digital learning design.
Graduates of the program will be well prepared to use their expertise in a variety of learning contexts – formal, non-formal and informal, including K-12 schools, non-formal education, higher education, government, business or to pursue doctoral studies in the field.
- In particular, the students will be prepared to successfully practice as:
- Instructional/Learning designers for digital education
- E-learning developer
- Teacher trainers in the field of digital learning design (Information technology trainers
- Designers of digital educational resources and online modules/courses
- Evaluators of online courses, programs, resources and e-content in general
- Consultants of digital learning design in a variety of educational contexts
- Project developers and managers in the field of digital learning design
In particular, the students will be prepared to successfully practice as:
Instructional/Learning designers for digital education
Teacher trainers in the field of digital learning design (Information technology trainers
Designers of digital educational resources and online modules/courses
Evaluators of online courses, programs, resources and e-content in general
Consultants of digital learning design in a variety of educational contexts
Project developers and managers in the field of digital learning design.
For more information please visit the M.Sc. programme site: https://designfordigitallearning2022.blogspot.com/
Language fluency required – B2
Admission requirements for applicants from Bulgaria and EU member countries:
To have completed higher education with minimum Bachelor's degree in Education / Pedagogy awarded and / or a document for the acquired qualification "teacher".
The documents have to be submitted at 212 room (Rectorate of Sofia University, 15 Tzar Osvoboditel blvd, Sofia) or online: fp.kmk.uni-sofia.bg
The average grade of the applicant's Diploma for higher education (BA / BSc degree) is to be no less than the equivalent of Good 3,50, according to the Bulgarian system of grades.
Candidates will be enrolled to the Programme after an interview in English about their motivation for and interest in the Programme. Information about the time and place of the interview is published on the website of the Faculty of Pedagogy.
Admission requirements for applicants from non-EU member countries:
To have completed higher education with minimum Bachelor's degree with Bachelor's degree in Education / Pedagogy awarded and / or a document for the acquired qualification "teacher". The Diploma must be recognized with the purpose of obtaining access to further education within the higher education system of Sofia University 'St. Kliment Ohridski', 15 Tzar Osvoboditel blvd, Sofia. The documents are submitted at the Admission office for Foreign students – see the information about application procedure for international students at the SU website
The average grade of the applicant's Diploma for higher education (BA / BSc degree) is to be no less than the equivalent of Good 3,50 according to the Bulgarian system of grades.
Candidates will be enrolled to the Programme after an interview in English about the motives for choosing the program, interest and expectations from the training. Information about the time and place of the interview is published on the website of the Faculty of Pedagogy.
About Sofia University "St. Kliment Ohridski"
- The Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski is the first higher educational institution in Bulgaria founded in 1888. Its history is an embodiment and a continuation of centuries of cultural and educational tradition in this country.
- Public teaching activities in Bulgaria date back to the second half of the 9th century. During the Bulgarian Renaissance, a new idea for opening a School of Higher Education was conceived. The prestige of the School of Higher Education grew rapidly with the cultural and educational mission it acquired after the Liberation in 1878.
- Year by year the Sofia University has developed into an important academic and scientific centre on the Balkans, a well developed academic institution with European dimensions. Today Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski is the largest and most prestigious educational and scientific centre in the country. It has 16 faculties with 119 special subjects being taught.
- Within the structure of Sofia University the following main structures are included: the Faculty of Slavonic Philology, the Faculty of Classical and Contemporary Philology, the Faculty of History, the Faculty of Philosophy, the Faculty of Law, the Faculty of Journalism and Mass Communication, the Faculty of Education, the Faculty of Educational Studies and the Arts, the Faculty of Geology and Geography, the Faculty of Physics, the Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics, the Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy, the Faculty of Biology, the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, the Faculty of Theology, the Faculty of Medicine, the Department of Information and Training of Teachers, the Department for Language Teaching and the Department of Sports.
- Sofia University offers BA, MA and PhD programmes, and conducts research in the field of the natural, social sciences and the humanities.
- With the signing of the Erasmus Сharter in 2007 and Bulgaria being a full-fledged member-state of the EU the University continues its active participation in the implementation of the updated with new educational possibilities Learning for Life European program.
- The official address of Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski is: 1504, Sofia; 15, Tsar Osvoboditel Blvd.; Tel. Exchange: (02) 9308 200, Fax: (02) 9460 255.