M.Sc. in Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Region (REMENA)
University of Kassel, Germany
Cairo University, Egypt
University of Kassel, Dept. of Electrical Engineering/Computer Science, Dept. of Efficient Energy Conversion, Wilhelmshöher Allee 73, 34121 Kassel, Germany
Cairo University, Faculty of Engineering, Giza, 12613 Egypt
|Tel. No.||University of Kassel: +49 561 804 6401 |
Cairo University: +20 2 35678264
|E-mail address University of Kasselemail@example.com|
|Courses||M.Sc. in Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Region (REMENA)|
|Type of courses||Full-time|
|Length of programme||
Overall length of 21 months: |
- one semester (6 months) in Cairo/Egypt.
- one semester (6 months) in Kassel/Germany
- one semester (9 months) master thesis (MENA region).
|Date of commencement||
As of October 2012 it is possible to start the program either in the winter term (October) or the summer term (start in April 2013).
For further information on the date of commencement and application deadlines, please visit the programme website at www.uni-kassel.de/remena
|Accommodation||Not available. Support provided to find accommodation.|
The costs to be covered for the whole program by each student are |
- ~ 12500 Euro living costs
- ~ 10000 Euro costs for special services
- ~ 240 Euros semester fees per semester at the University of Kassel
- ~ 85 Euros semester fees at Cairo University
|Top recruiters of graduates of our graduates||Companies in the energy sector, international organisations, government institutions (ministries, energy authorities), international organisations, NGOs, engineering companies, research institutes in renewable energy and energy efficiency and “green” building technology, biotechnology for biomass.|
|The REMENA Master program is open to all nationalities. Applicants from Germany and the MENA countries may apply for scholarship funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst, DAAD).|
Prof. Dr. sc. techn. Dirk Dahlhaus |
Prof. Dr. Adel Khalil
The program is directed to young professionals with working experience and a high motivation to contribute to introducing a sustainable energy supply and to the development in the Arab region in general, which includes a keen interest in the culture and language. The participants should aspire to make a career in the international energy sector. |
Minimum requirements are:
- a B.Sc. degree in engineering, architecture, natural sciences, economics, or social sciences
- one year working experience in a field related to the REMENA study focus
- high motivation
- fluent in English (TOEFL 550/220/76) or IELTS (6.5 band) or undergraduate studies in English or mother tongue.
1.Countries of origin: All nationalities are welcome to apply. Currently we train students from Egypt, Germany, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Palestine, Syria and Yemen. |
2.Ratio Men/Women: Intended 50/50 Currently: 70/30
3.Age Range: 23-39
4.Average Age: 27
5.Average Work Experience: The target group of this postgraduate course are young professionals from the field of renewable energy and energy efficiency, who have some initial work experience in this field. On average REMENA students have worked 1-2 years.
This master program provides young professionals with technical and managerial knowledge in the renewable energy and energy efficiency (REEE) sector and with intercultural competencies. Both aspects are equally important when taking up leadership positions in the renewable energy sector and to work effectively in the framework of international cooperation.
Countries in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region face a change in energy policy due to the depleting resources of fossil fuels, the rising prices, and growing demand.
Sustainable energy supply will remain one of the most crucial challenges for the Arab region in the coming decades and also a main focus in developing cooperation. Experience shows that there is a lack of energy experts being familiar not only with technological aspects, but also with the culture, language and politics of Arab and western European countries.
Two universities – the University of Kassel, Germany, and the Cairo University, Egypt – in cooperation with institutions and companies in the renewable energy sector have combined their expertise to design an attractive master program to guarantee an excellent education for young experts to meet the challenges of sustainable energy supply.
The program is directed to young professionals with work experience and a high motivation to contribute to introducing a sustainable energy supply and to the development in the Arab region in general, which includes a keen interest in the other culture and language. Students follow this program at three different locations: 6 months in Cairo, 6 months in Kassel and 9 months in the MENA region. The course includes intensive German/Arabic language courses and modules in intercultural training.
English is the language of instruction. Upon successful completion of the course, a Master of Science degree is awarded.
The objective of the interdisciplinary and application-oriented master program is to train more and better qualified engineers and project managers to help implement standards in REEE in the energy sector.
• living and learning in the MENA region and Germany
• courses and technical field visits on the latest concepts and technologies of REEE
• getting first hand advice from high level professionals and experts in the Arab and German energy sector
• training in intercultural competencies
• courses in project management
• master thesis in institutions in the MENA-Region
• contacts to institutions and projects in German-Arab cooperation. In order to participate you should
• be highly motivated to learn and work in a bicultural environment,
• be ready for an intensive full time programme,
• have a professional or academic background related to the energy sector,
• be fluent in English (TOEFL 550/220/76 or IELTS 6.5-band or equivalent),
• be willing to take up leadership positions in the future in the energy sector.
Your prospects are
• excellent career opportunities in international cooperation and development assistance or research institutions in the field of REEE
• working for companies in the expanding business sector "Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency" in the MENA-Region.
• leadership positions in the public and private energy sector
• to become part of a network between Germany and the MENA region in the field of REEE.
Two universities – the University of Kassel (UKAS) and the Cairo University (CU) – in cooperation with institutions and companies in the renewable energy sector have combined their expertise to design an attractive master program to guarantee an excellent education for young experts to meet the challenges of a sustainable energy supply.
- At UKAS, a wide range of experts contribute to the program. Located at the Dept. of Electrical Engineering/Computer Science (EECS), the research group for Efficient Energy Conversion with expertise in renewable energies, the Communications Lab with expertise in smart grids, the Fraunhofer Institute for Wind Energy and Energy Systems Technology (IWES) , the Fraunhofer Institute for Building Physics (IBP) and lecturers from other universities and institutes contribute to the program. Alumni of the Dept. of EECS have founded the world’s leading manufacturer and market leader for solar inverters SMA located in Kassel.
- At CU, experienced faculty members from different engineering departments such as Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical, Aeronautical and Architectural Engineering contribute to teaching in the program. Specialized laboratory, computer centre and library facilities are available to students. The Faculty of Engineering with its rich history since 1816 has strong links to public and private sector industry, plays a major role in community service and research in the field of renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- The University of Kassel, founded in 1971, is characterised by a multi-layered competence network, focused on nature, technology, art and society. The university with its 12 faculties and Academy of Arts has committed itself to international cooperation and interdisciplinary research. It hosts guests from over 100 countries among its 22,000 students. With about 300 professors, the university offers study programs within the fields of engineering, natural sciences and mathematics on the one hand and humanities, social sciences and the arts on the other. Internationally oriented study courses as well as English-taught programs and classes make the university an attractive place to study and to do research. The university offers three master programs in renewable energies. Strategic partnerships at home and abroad strengthen its position in national and international competition. The university also provides a wide range of leisure-time activities such as sports facilities, international meetings and events. The town of Kassel has about 200,000 inhabitants is located in the heart of Germany on the Fulda River and offers a rich cultural and economic diversity.
- Cairo University has 26 faculties and hosts over 200,000 students. The Faculty of Engineering - (FECU) established in 1905 at its current location in Cairo University campus hosts 15,000 undergraduate students and 3,000 graduate students. The FECU has about 700 full time faculty members in 14 different Engineering Departments in the Giza and Sheikh Zayed Campuses. In addition to the numerous student laboratories, FECU has 8 service laboratories as well as 15 community service centres offering training, research and consultation to industry and service sectors. The FECU is located in Giza on the River Nile and offers many excursions to energy projects as well as recreational and cultural tours to historic sites such as the pyramids, citadel, museums, ancient sites in Upper Egypt, Red Sea /Mediterranean Sea resorts.
EuroEducation Net |